As a parent, it’s likely one of your consistent goals to involve your kids in activities they’ll enjoy. Of course, many of the pastimes you’d like to participate in as a family end up costing money, and with a tight economy, you may have to put some of those pursuits aside.
The good thing, however, is that there are always activities that will enable your family to have fun without breaking the bank. Be creative with family fun so your expenditure is minimal without sacrificing the excitement.
Try these fun – and free – activities:
1. Take it to the park. Whether it’s a few minutes or a few miles away, the nearest park is a great place to have free family fun. Pack all the toys and playthings that you and your kids will enjoy using outdoors. These could include kites, Frisbees, balls and badminton sets.
* Put together some easy-to-prepare treats or go all out by taking along the grill. Your family will certainly enjoy chicken salad sandwiches or grilled hot dogs and burgers.
* Remember to take along your MP3 music dock so all your family fun can be had to the backdrop of your favorite song selections.
2. Plan a backyard campout. Make it a date with your kids to have an official campout right in your own backyard. This is a fun way to simulate a true camping experience.
* Borrow your neighbor’s tent or rent one. Equip it with sleeping bags, lanterns and mosquito repellant to get the real feel of the outdoors.
* Set up a dirt-filled pit for starting a campfire. Be sure to keep it controlled so there are no issues with spreading flames. You and your family can roast marshmallows while telling scary stories around the fire! Make all your meals on the campfire or use your outdoor grill.
3. Enjoy a beach trip. In almost all cases, sun, sand and sea are free of charge! Pack snacks or meals so you won’t have the expense of stopping at a restaurant for lunch.
* Be sure to take beach toys like floats and beach balls so you can capitalize on every element of the beachfront.
* Remember your camera to capture moments like your kids doing handstands in the water or your family making its largest sandcastle to date!
4. Plan a movie night. There’s no reason to leave home for movie night once you have a TV, warm blankets and lots of popcorn. Create the ambience you want by having everything available that the movie theater would.
* Your kids’ favorite snacks are a must – popcorn, Skittles and soda pops are definite staples for a movie night.
* For added fun, why not get a few pairs of 3D glasses and enjoy the full effect of a 3D movie?
So as you can see, it’s pretty easy to have family fun with very little or even no financial input. All you need to do is show a little creativity and offer your family alternatives to the typical activities that cost an arm and a leg. You’ll save money while still allowing your family to have a wonderful time.